Panama Trek 2018: Camino Real
OUR EXPEDITIONS >
PANAMA TREK 2018
Our expedition begins in Panama City where we will spend several days before our trek visiting an orphanage and exploring the city. One of the highlights will be a boat tour along the Panama canal where we will experience first hand this amazing 20th century civil engineering feat.
Our 4 day trek will take us across the Isthmus of Panama along the original route of the Camino Real, a path used in the 17th and 18th centuries by Spaniards to transfer silver, gold and other treasures from Peru to Spain. Our journey will take us through the rainforest of the Chagres and Portobelo National Parks, from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean. This will be a true jungle experience. The sheer beauty of this trek, makes it one of the most popular adventure destinations in Panama.
Our Trek will be led by a local trekking company and experienced local guides. We will walk an average of 5-7 hours a day, and will be wet most of the time during the day as we we will be wading through rivers often. We will sleep in hammocks with mosquito nets under the trees and have our food prepared by a cook. Showers will be available each night. No previous trekking experience needed, but we require that all Trekkers be in excellent physical condition and able to hike for several hours, non-stop, carrying a backpack with your personal items including clothing. All other equipment and food will be carried by porters. It’s important that a good physical conditioning program be undertaken at least two months before departure.
Trekkers will spend several days with the children at our selected orphanage in Panama City before the trek. We will spend time getting to know the children, playing games with them, taking them on a field trip, and working on significant improvement projects at their home.
Please contact Tricia Donaldson, Director of Operations, for more information
Trip Cost: $1975
Fundraising Commitment: $1000
•TFK group leaders
• 4 day partially supported guided Trek (you only carry a pack with your personal items)
• Professional local guides on Trek
• 3 nights hammocks on trek
• 5 nights hotel in Panama City
• All in-country transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
• All meals except 2 dinners and 1 lunch
• Field trip and activities with the children
• TFK shirts, luggage tags
• Tips for local trekking crew
• National Park fees
• Round trip airfare to Panama City
• 3 meals
• Alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, or bottled water
• 18 years or older
• Good health
• Physically fit
• Willing to raise minimum $1000
3 Step Process
1. Apply • Fill out the online application
• Pay $500 deposit ($50 non-refundable)
2. Prepare • Read Information and Fundraising Packet from TFK
• Start a training regimen if not already exercising regularly
• Fundraise for orphanage projects
• Gather all necessary gear for the Trek
• Pay remaining Expedition fees
• Arrange flights
3. Experience • Arrive in-country.
• Enjoy a trip of a lifetime!
We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, both before and during your Expedition.
After signing up for an Expedition, Trekkers receive a Fundraising Kit, and access to the Trekker Resource Center, with online tips and tools to help you succeed.
• great introduction to TFK for your donors
Personal Fundraising Page
• solicit donations on your page
• set fundraising goals
• track progress in real time
• post a message to your donors
• donors can send a message to you
• form letters to help you get started
• fundraising logs
• receipts and forms
• orphanage project flyer
Contact our Director of Operations, Tricia Donaldson, for more information.
Panama Trek 2017
Expedition Dates: March 3-11, 2018
(in country dates)
Deadline to Apply: October 1, 2017
Group Size: 8-10
Trip Cost: $1975
Orphanage: Panama City
Fundraising Commitment: $1000 in tax-deductible donations
Activity Level: moderately-difficult
MEET THE TREKKERS
Select a Trekker‘s name below to visit their personal fundraising page. Help them reach their goal by making a donation today.
Bhutan Trek 2017April 8-21, 2017
Thailand Private Teen 2017May 27-June 10, 2017
Mt. Elbrus 2017July 1-15, 2017
Peru Family Trek 2017August 3-12, 2017
Peru Custom Trek 2017Sept 20-28, 2017
Mexico Private Trek 2017October 21-29, 2017
Everest Base Camp 2017October 30-November 17, 2017
Everest View Trek 2017October 30-November 11, 2017
Panama Trek 2018March 3-11, 2018